Korba: The district administration and Municipal Corporation carried out a major demolition drive on Thursday against the alleged illegal construction belonging to scrap dealer Mukesh Sahu alias ‘Barbatti’, an accused in the much-discussed bridge theft case. The action was undertaken amid heavy security deployment, with over 150 police personnel stationed at the site to prevent any untoward incident.
According to officials, Mukesh Sahu was not present in the city during the operation. However, members of his family and supporters protested against the demolition and created a ruckus while attempting to stop the administration from proceeding with the action. The situation turned tense for some time, but police personnel brought the situation under control and the demolition continued.
Sources said the accused had allegedly tried to obstruct the administrative team by parking vehicles on the approach road after removing their tyres, in an apparent bid to block the entry of bulldozers and officials. The police and civic authorities later cleared the route and initiated the demolition of the two-storey structure.
Mukesh Sahu alias Barbatti came into the limelight following his alleged involvement in the sensational bridge theft case in Korba district. Officials claimed that several criminal cases are registered against him at different police stations. Allegations of illegal encroachment and operation of scrap warehouses and shops at multiple locations in the city have also surfaced against him in the past.
Earlier too, the administration had sealed scrap godowns and shops linked to him in areas including Ratakhar, Mudapar and Korkoma Road. Encroachments at some of these places were also removed during previous drives.
Municipal Corporation Commissioner Ashutosh Pandey remained present at the spot during the action, while senior police officials supervised the security arrangements throughout the operation.
Speaking to the media, Commissioner Ashutosh Pandey said notices had been issued earlier regarding the construction and action was taken after the structure was found to be in violation of prescribed norms. He further stated that the campaign against illegal encroachments and unauthorized constructions in the city would continue in accordance with the law.

